Aquatic Physical Therapy Director: Rachel S. Hyland, P.T.
(808) 234-5353 Kokokahi Pool at the YWCA
Fukuji & Lum’s Aquatic Physical Therapy Program has been creating quite a splash in the Windward community since its inception in 2000. This special program offers an alternative to land-based therapy, helping patients improve their balance, strength and flexibility through therapeutic exercises in the water.
How can Aquatic Physical Therapy help?
- Therapeutic exercises performed in the water result in less stress on the joints and allow movements that may not be possible with a land-based treatment.
- Therapy sessions are provided by a licensed physical therapist and support staff who develop individualized care plans to meet the patient’s needs.
- Patients are instructed in exercises to improve balance, strength and flexibility.
- Aquatic physical therapy is FUN and patients enjoy the comfortable and safe environment of the pool.
Common Injuries & Conditions Treated with Aquatic Physical Therapy
- Post Spinal Surgery
- Post Shoulder, Hip, Knee or Ankle Surgery
- Frozen Shoulder (Adhesive Capsulitis)
- Back Pain
- Joint Replacements
- Degenerative Joint Disease
- Tendonitis or Bursitis
- Myofascial pain or Fibromyalgia
- General Weakness
Aquatic Physical Therapy FAQs
Is the pool heated?
Yes. The Kokokahi YWCA pool is heated (86-88 degrees), providing patients with a comfortable experience.
Do I need to know how to swim to begin aquatic physical therapy?
No, non-swimmers are welcome! Your physical therapist will work with you in the water within your comfort level as most exercises are done in an upright position.
I need help getting in and out of the water. Do you have a chairlift available for pool access?
Yes. The pool does have a chairlift for patients who need assistance entering and exiting the pool.
Will my insurance company cover aquatic physical therapy?
Aquatic physical therapy is covered by most insurance companies.
If you are unsure whether we are providers for your insurance company, please call us.
Can I continue therapy once my treatments are finished?
Upon completion of aquatic physical therapy treatment, patients have an option to join our Performance Plus Program to continue their aquatic exercises.